Shani Thomas - Addictions Specialist. MBACP Accred, UKCP reg.
01264351228 / 07733 140222
I have 17 years experience in hospitals and counselling organisations specialising in the treatment of addictions and mood disorders. I offer therapy to those suffering sex addiction, alcohol addiction, depression and anxiety. Military personnel may be eligible for a reduced rate.
There are those men whom are caught up in a cycle of visiting pornographic internet sites and often acting out sexual activities in which they would not normally engage. These people and often their families are attempting to make sense of this very painful and shaming compulsion. Partners take it personally, and the compulsive user is often in a place of despair and confusion "why am I doing this, this is not who I am".
These behaviours are not gender specific and women and men are often caught up in similar cycles of destructive compulsions in order to fill the emptiness they feel inside. Together we will be exploring your sexual history and the patterns and stressors that have led to your compulsion. I will work on a tailor made plan for your recovery and help you identify triggers and coping skills to prevent relapse.
Alcohol, Cocaine, Work Addiction
In my experience shame and guilt are often the feelings that underpin the continued cycle of addiction (behavioural and substance), feelings of loneliness and self loathing may cause deep distress and so the need to 'self soothe' becomes more urgent and the cycle gains momentum. The impact and consequences of the active addict can be far reaching, loved ones, families, employers and friends all suffer. Please understand that you are not alone and millions like you whom have been caught up in this devastating condition are now living happy fulfilled and healthy lives. If you are ready to make the necessary life changes, then I can help you.
Depression and Anxiety Disorders
For years I have been working with people suffering depression and anxiety disorders. Many of those I see say that they feel as if they have lost themselves and experience difficulty in gaining any enjoyment from life. The degree of the depressive disorder will vary but for some it has become a devastating condition impacting on all areas of life; for others it is linked to a specific environment/process that triggers anxiety. In some cases these mood disorders may make you seek out unhealthy ways to escape everyday pressures, you may isolate yourself or ignore daily activities that need your attention, you may feel cut off from others, misunderstood, and lack the confidence to ask for help. Together we will be gently exploring the origin of your suffering and identify techniques to help you return to being 'you'.
Do you need rehab?
If you are suffering severe substance abuse I will be encouraging you to become abstinent. Only then can we explore some of the issues that underpin the addiction. If you are considering the possibility of rehab, I can organise and co-ordinate assessments and admissions for you. I have contacts in many of these facilities both in the UK and abroad.
I do not work with persons under the age of 20.
I do not work with couples.
1. Work in one of the leading private behavioural hospitals in the UK. My role was Primary Counsellor and my responsibilities included - assessments, group therapy, lectures, and carrying a caseload of clients. Also as the Family Workshop facilitator on a self employed basis.
2. Private practice in Chelsea, London. My clients were usually in long term recovery from addictive behaviours and were working on un-resolved trauma issues.
3. The NHS Based at hospitals and gp surgeries, carrying a caseload of patients suffering from depression, anxiety, stress, and panic disorders. I use a Cognitive Therapeutic approach with this client group.
4. The Criminal Justice System - Working on a self employed basis as a counselling advisor. Helping ex-offenders to break the patterns of the past.
5. Day Care Alcohol Counsellor - self employed counsellor for a rehabilitation unit in the SW. Design and running of an alcohol day care programme including, lectures, group work, role play, motivation, relapse prevention, and self esteem.
I am aware of, and practice respect to diversity to sexual orientation, religious belief, race, ethnic minorities, and excluded populations. I abide by the Ethical Framework within the BACP. I demonstrate firm boundaries and ensure that I work within the rules of the data protection act.
I am non judgemental and have evidenced this by working with varied client groups.
Training, qualifications & experience
UK and USA Trained
Member BACP (Accredited)
European dip in addictions counselling CPCAB
Dip Counselling Therapy
Cert in Sex Addiction Therapy (m1) Facilitated by author and world renowned expert Dr Patrick Carnes
CBT - Institute of Stress Management London
Stress Management- Institute of Stress Management London
Certificate in Training Practice - Civil Service College, Ascot
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bulimia nervosa
- Dependent personality disorder
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
In addition to my therapeutic training, I am a qualified trainer this means that I am completely competent and experienced in identifying training needs in others and providing solutions. I can design and produce training programmes, manuals and workshops to suit your needs.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Telephone 01264 351228 Monday/Wednesday/Thursday 10:00 - 19:00 This line has a call guard please use first name only. Use 07733140222 Tuesdays and Fridays. Thank you
Types of client