Caroline Georgiou - Person Centred Counsellor & Supervisor Registered MBACP
The Affinity Centre
29a Water Lane
I offer a confidential, Person-Centred Counselling Service to individuals experiencing difficulties or recurring issues which impact negatively on their lives. Throughout my 20 years in the field of Mental Health and 15 years as a practising, qualified counsellor, I have gained invaluable experience working with clients of all ages, backgrounds and cultures.
Being in a safe, therapeutic relationship enables individuals to face their pain and life experiences without fear of judgement. I work with my empathy to enable clients to feel heard and understood so that they can learn to accept and empower themselves. I am profoundly touched by the power of the healing process and I have had the privilege of sharing journeys with clients who have worked through what they feel has held them back from being who they really are, who have achieved their therapeutic goals and left with a greater sense of wellbeing and feeling in control of their lives.
- I understand that exploring the idea of counselling takes courage and that even in today's society, there is a sense of stigma and fear of the unknown in regards to the field of self-care and self-kindness. Counselling and the journey which follows takes a commitment to yourself. This does not always come naturally or easily, especially if you do not believe you deserve to make your wellbeing a priority.
It is my responsibility and role to help every client to value their worth and to support them along their personal path to a better place. I offer a safe space where you can explore your issues confidentially and without judgement.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have developed extensive and invaluable experience within the field of counselling. For me, working alongside clients is the most rewarding gift. To be in the moment with another, to share such emotional intimacy, is an authentic human experience. I am honoured to have sat alongside many people and feel true privilege in being asked to be with others on their journeys
Training & Development:
- Bachelor of Arts in Community Education (Northern College of Education)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling (Jordanhill Counselling Unit, University of Strathclyde. BACP accredited)
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision (University of Edinburgh. COSCA accredited)
- Scotland’s Mental Health First Aid Certificate
- Human Relations & Counselling Skills, Modules 1 and 2 (University of Dundee)
- Introduction to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Empathy Skills with Babette Rothschild (author of "Help for the Helper")
- Tomasulo Behavioural Therapy training with Dr Dan Tomasulo (Author of "Action Methods for Group Psychotherapy")
- Child Protection Training Stages 1 and 2 (Dundee City Council)
- Survivors of Abuse (Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre)
- Buddhism & Counselling in Western Society (University of Dundee)
- Advanced Professional Training Counselling Research Workshops (University of Strathclyde)
- Transactional Analysis 101 (Abertay University)
- Beginnings, Middles and Endings (University of Dundee)
- Working with Self-harm & Self-Injury (University of Dundee)
- Teacher Training Workshop for the Life Skills Training Program
- Reiki 1
- Compassion Fatigue Workshop with Françoise Mathieu ( Author of "The Compassion Fatigue Workbook". Mindsite)
- Psychotherapy in the Theatre of the Mind with Donna Savery (Mindsite)
- Bereavement Theory (The Dove Service)
- Working with Life Changing/Limiting Illness (The Dove Service)
- The Web of Shame in the Therapeutic Space with Christiane Sanderson
- Holistic Writing for Wellbeing
- Drawing Space (Manchester Art Gallery)
- Words Work Well Training in Bibliotherapy (Lapidus Scotland)
- Unconscious Bias Seminar with Femi Otitoju (Dundee University)
- Introduction to Colour Therapy (The Nilipul Foundation)
- Creative Interventions (The Dove Service)
- Ethics (The Dove Service)
- Women and Alcohol (Tayside Council on Alcohol)
- Laughter Therapy Workshop with Margaret McCathie
- Mental Health Awareness for Youth Workers (Youth Fed)
- Addictive Relationships with Food (The Counselling and Family Centre)
- Introduction to Mindfulness (MRE Workshop) (The Christie School)
- Mindfulness (MRE2). Teaching Clients,1-2-1 Sessions (The Christie School)
- Be The Best You Can Be (University of Chester)
- Finding Your Voice (University of Chester)
- Adapting Relaxation & Creative Imagery for Groups (The Christie School)
- Living With PTSD (Recovery Health & Wellbeing Academy)
- To Tell Or Not To Tell (Recovery Health & Wellbeing Academy)
- Living With Self-Harm (Recovery Health & Wellbeing Academy)
- Integrating Art Work in to Your Counselling Practice
During my employment in New York City as an Assistant Psychologist, I received an Outstanding Achievement Award & a grant towards future study as an acknowledgement of my contribution to services within the national organisation.
I also have extensive experience in telephone counselling and was employed as a National Helpline Advisor with Breathing Space for 2 years. At present, I am a volunteer with a bereavement counselling service and shall be facilitating therapeutic bereavement support groups.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Family & its many shapes and forms
Mental health issues
I enjoy working creatively within the therapeutic space. Clients and I have enjoyed a variety of healing expression through storytelling, poetry, art, music, writing and drama.
I am undertaking a Mindful Resilience Enhancement Teacher Training in 2017 and aim to bring my new learning to my practice, further enhancing the therapeutic experience for clients.
Photos & videos
The initial session is 25 pounds.
Hourly sessions are 50 pounds.
I offer a limited number of lower cost counselling sessions for those on a lower income.
* Fees payable are to reserve the therapeutic hour. 24 hour notice of cancellation is required or full payment is due.
Counselling is a positive and empowering process. If you are willing to commit to yourself and the therapeutic relationship, you can accomplish a greater sense of wellbeing and facilitate your own growth and development.
Appointments available during day and evening
I work within the BACP ethical framework & follow stated guidelines for good practice.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available during the day, evenings and weekends.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer counselling supervision to counsellors and counsellors in training. For me, counselling supervision offers invaluable support and opportunities for personal and professional development.View supervision profile