Chris Rudyard Mbacp | EMI + BSP | Counsellor | Psychotherapist | Supervisor
Go straight to Counselling For Liverpool © website now by clicking here
I believe counselling & psychotherapy is about talking and thinking about you, and your life with someone you trust - someone you will connect with. So we can talk, gain insight and knowledge about you, others, and what is going on. I am also trained in powerful forms of therapy for when talking therapy is not enough.
When you see me, I ensure:
- You get a high quality, streamlined, reliable service
- You will not undergo tedious assessments
- No notes will go onto your medical records
- You decide how many sessions you have
- I make a commitment with you
What can you use counselling for?
I can work with all issues and your relationship with them. Some common ones I work with are:
Addictions & alcohol problems, bereavement & loss | childhood experiences | difficult memories & flashbacks | identity | family & relationships | personality | road traffic accidents | sexual abuse & rape | trauma/s | traumatic birth/labour | work problems.
How can counselling help?
People I've seen have managed to let go of:
anger and resentment, anxiety, emotions and thought patterns that hindered them, long standing issues and upsetting memories, old unhelpful behaviours and habits.
What can you benefit from counselling
People I've worked with have gained:
clarity, confidence, control, direction, a healthier way of being, meaning, progression, resilience, restful sleep, self-awareness, strengths & understanding.
Not sure what the problem is?
A lot of the time people go to their GP because of how they feel and leave without treatment. This is because physical symptoms can turn out to be medically 'unexplained', but symptoms can be due to a form of anger, anxiety, depression, stress or worry. Examples are:
dizziness/Labyrinthitis/vertigo, feeling on edge, irritable bowel syndrome, headaches/migraines, panic attacks, pains, sexual difficulties, shaking, skin rashes, sleeping problems, stammers, sweating, tiredness/exhaustion, tight chest etc.
Where do I start, how do I know what to talk about?
Start by contacting me, arrange a time to meet, we don't need to go into personal issues over the phone.
In the first session we'll start to work out together what's going on, and where to start.
Why should I see you?
My approach to therapy is about being a person first, and developing a way to work together that will suit you best. I'm pretty easy going, genuine, open minded, and I have a warm attitude.
I am trained in a number of therapies inc. CBT, however I find the most beneficial therapies that I have used are Person Centred, EMI, and BSP.
I really value the relationship between the therapist and client, and keep professional boundaries.
How can talking help? I'm not into talking about myself, or talking therapy hasn't helped in the past.
Many traumatic experiences impact on a physical felt sense. A trauma changes you physically, because it is too much for the brain & body. You will have noticed tense edgy feelings after a trauma this is how powerful a trauma is. BSP & EMI go to the depth of experience that we need to go, to start to feel better.
BSP & EMI are Neuro-therapies can really benefit. Neuro-therapies are radical, power therapies - they are scientifically based, usually fast acting as they work with your nervous system/felt sense by going deep into it. Talking only can keep you in your thinking brain, and we really need to get into you feeling brain.
Talking therapy can be like vacuuming - it may be enough to clean up the mess, however sometimes it is not enough, and a deep clean is needed - this is what neuro-therapy does.
As well as therapy and the work I do, I enjoy many normal things including comedy, film, guitar, music and travel.
Just phone or email now and ask to come and see me, I'll be glad to meet you, whatever is going on!
Training, qualifications & experience
Many types of professionals & people come to see me inc:
actors, artists, business persons, counsellors & therapists, engineers, GPs, labourers, lawyers, lecturers, musicians, office workers, parents/carers, sports persons, social workers, students, teachers, trades persons, travellers, and young people.
- I see men & woman
- Most of my clients are in their 20's - 50's
I have invaluable experience for well-known services, working with many different client groups, and individuals. This has expanded my knowledge, and stretched me personally and professionally, making me a flexible, robust and truly experienced practitioner.
My work and practice has been audited by the BACP and has passed this process. This means I have met certain criteria required to evidence I am ethical in my professional responsibilities as counsellor & psychotherapist.
I have worked in a paid capacity for services & organisations that provide psychological interventions and support, for over 15 years, as outlined below:
- The Priory Therapy Centre & Residential Hospital - CQC regulated therapy service. Therapist/counsellor/assessor - adults & young people - mainly anxiety, mood, relationships, trauma. Short to longer-term work.
- Adults counsellor - funded by NHS/CCG - short to long-term work
- Schools counsellor (Liverpool, Manchester, Salford, Wigan) - Over 30 schools providing counselling for: pupils, parents/carers, teachers & staff
- Counselling - Wigan Family Welfare BACP Accredited counselling service - A great deal of my work here encompasses long term work for abuse, anger/anger management, family & relationships, and traumatic experiences
- Counselling for Liverpool - business owner 10 years - working with people on a private basis.
- Employee assistance programmes (counselling employees of some of the largest employers) - Nationwide - Adults counsellor/therapist - short-term work (6-8 weeks)
- Insurance companies - I provide counselling for several large insurance companies
- Looked after children's counsellor Inc. parents/carers - funded by Wigan local authority
- Counsellor & Mental Health Practitioner - Manchester - Forty Second Street - specialist mental health support & counselling. Funded by NHS/CCG
- Online Counsellor & Psychotherapist - Resile Ltd
- Relate - The Relationship People - North & South Manchester - counsellor & psychotherapist
- Face to Face Charity - Adults counsellor for those with low/no income - voluntary
- Bereavement & Palliative Care Counsellor - Hospitals, medical centres, GP clinics - bereavement & life threatening illness - NHS & Macmillan centre
- Pupil referral units & EBD schools - counsellor - long term counselling
- Mental health advice/support help lines - Supporting people in crisis and offering guidance to professionals & carers
- On line advice & support for concerns around self-harm - TheSite.org, now called.themix.org.
- GP's surgeries & NHS clinics - counselling & mental health assessments across Manchester
- Therapeutic residential units, residential homes & schools for people of all ages with moderate- severe Epilepsy, learning & social difficulties including those who have a diagnosis of ASC/Autism. Inc The David Lewis Centre.
- Residential/assessment units, leaving care units - Bury, Wirral, Wigan, Manchester, Alderly Edge
- Substance misuse counsellor - NHS/CCG working within NICE guidelines.
- Suicide prevention practitioner- national charity - providing guidance to professionals & carers. Supporting those in crisis and experiencing suicidal ideation
- The Samaritans - 2 years 2002 - working with people in crisis by telephone and in person - Manchester - voluntary
My training exceeds the minimum requirements to be able to provide counselling under the BACP regulating body. I am trained in several approaches to therapy, the Person Centred approach is at the heart of all my work.
All of my training has been gained through face to face training with well respected trainers & training establishments that are radical in counsellor/psychotherapy training.
I believe qualifications are important, what is more important is experience & how your therapist works with you as a person.
- Cert. in Supervision - British Psychological Society approved in Essential Supervision.
- Post Graduate Level 7 - Person Centred & CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) Therapies' at Temenos - Sheffield. This training also included 3rd Wave CBT techniques such as mindfulness, and exposure techniques.
- Diploma in NLP (Neuro-linguistic Programming)
- BSP - Phase 1 - British Psychological Society approved. A deep therapy that requires little talking. It is a way of healing quickly, and processing difficulties including anxiety. Training provided by Dr Mark Gritix.
- BSP - Phase 2 - British Psychological Society approved. Advanced & enhanced ways of working with BSP. Flexible approach and enhanced skills to work with complex trauma.
- EMI + Supervision Level 1 - a specialised neuro-therapy designed to treat trauma & PTSD (distressing memory & experience).
- EMI + Supervision Level 2 - this approach has been researched and found to be helpful with phobias and deeper rooted trauma.
- Diploma Level 4 - Theory & Practice of Counselling (This course focussed solely on the Person Centred approach, and was Accredited by British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy/BACP) - Person Centred Counselling Services (PCCS) Training Partnership - Manchester. This is the minimum qualification required to practice under BACP.
- Counselling skills Level 3 - South Trafford
- Counselling concepts Level 2 - South Trafford
- Cert. of Proficiency – the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
I attend at least 30 hours CPD on going training every year:
- Applied suicide Intervention Skills Training (A.S.I.S.T) - Livingworks
- Bereavement & palliative care counselling - NHS/Trafford Bereavement & Palliative Care Service
- Child & Adult safeguarding
- Counter terrorism training (WRAP)
- Counselling young people - Relate
- Couples & relationship counselling
- Domestic violence - Relate
- Family support - Beechwood cancer care
- Group work - NHS
- Gestalt therapy dream work
- Intro to Gestalt therapy
- Intro to Existential Psychotherapy - Emmy van Deurzen (New School of Psychotherapy)
- Supporting mental health of LGBTQ
- Mental health - NHS
- Self harm - Teaching School Alliance
- Suicide TALK - Living Works
- Timian certificate (challenging behaviour) - BILD
- Transactional Analysis
- Young people, sex & the law
To see a fuller description of what I do, and the experience & training I have gained go to: Counselling in Liverpool
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Much of my work encompasses human relationships and the difficulties that arise through being in, or out of them.
- I am also trained an Neuro-therapies & Somatic therapies that have been used to help people with trauma & PTSD symptoms. EMI is scientifically based, and researched to prove beneficial with traumatic incidents, it is also fast acting!
- I love to help people and their anxiety, and enjoy helping to work it out - Anxiety often presents itself as physical problems, behaviour or thoughts. If you are unsure what anxiety is just think 'worry' or feeling 'nervous/on edge', 'checking' or 'avoiding' behaviours
- You may have been involved in an unsettling event/s that seem to still affect you now. These could even be from years and years ago. In these circumstances my clients and I usually do Eye Movement Integration/EMI/Brainspotting/BSP therapy to help. I thoroughly recommend this if you have not tried it before, or you feel like you have tried everything else. I have used EMI & BSP successfully with many people who felt stuck and just couldn't move on.
- BSP has also been used to improve all kinds of performance including: music, sporting abilities, and sexual performance.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
Photos & videos
Regular counselling session
- £40.00 - Private paying clients only 50 minute session
- £55.00 - 50 minute counselling session (city centre) School Lane - close to Church St.
Insurance & medical companies
- £80.00 per session
I believe my fees to be excellent value in regards to my experience, qualifications and training.
I accept: American Express, Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard (plus £1.50 per transaction)
I do not offer any free or introductory sessions, this is because this would not be therapy/counselling, so it would be unrealistic to base how therapy would be on this experience. I want you to get where you want to quickly and efficiently so we start as soon as possible.
- Employee Assistance Programme for businesses - packages available. Call me for a chat about how I can meet your business and employees needs. Local businesses & projects have used this package. i.e after armed robberies, accidents, traumas and to generally aid well-being, and alleviate stress. The better functioning your staff; the better functioning your business.
- 12 - 18 year olds seen on a case by case basis. Initial referral needs to be from a parent/carer or guardian, young person will also need to call me. Most common reasons young people see me for are bereavement, bullying, confidence, family/relationships problems, self harm and stress.
Please do not book an appointment if you are unsure if you will attend.
(All missed or cancelled appointments with less than 24hrs notice are to be paid for)
- Call me on: 07757437599 - 7.00am - 9.00pm - leave a message if I don't answer - I can be in meetings most of the day. This number is provided for clients only, so it is completely confidential. If you get the answer phone please leave your name and number, I will call you back shortly/same day
- Morning, afternoon, and evening sessions
- Monday - Saturday
- Close to bus and train links (St Michael's station), 173, 60 & 82 bus route
- Residential area close to Lark Lane - cafes, restaurants & shops nearby
- Free roadside parking directly outside
- My Aigburth office is in a dedicated therapy room in my own home.
- City centre office is a small room based in a building that is used by other therapists
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
*Monday to Thursday: 4.00pm-8.00pm *Fridays 9.00am-8.00pm *Sat: 9.00am-12.00pm. Sessions are subject to availability, and what others have already booked.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer supervision for counsellors, psychotherapists and other professionals such as teachers too.View supervision profile