Chris Rudyard Mbacp | Counsellor | Psychotherapist | Supervisor
Go straight to Counselling For Liverpool © website now by clicking here
Anxious, down, hurt, sad, stuck, had enough?
You might want something to be different.
I believe counselling & psychotherapy is about talking and thinking about you and your life with someone you trust, someone who will connect with you. So this is what we do, we talk, to gain insight and knowledge. I also have alternative ways of helping.
When you see me, I ensure:
- You get a high quality, streamlined, reliable service
- You will not undergo tedious assessments
- No notes will go onto your medical records
- You decide how many sessions you have
- You are listened to, heard, and valued
People that see me, are coming for support with life problems such as:
Bereavement & loss | childhood experiences | difficult memories & flashbacks | identity | family & relationships | personality | road traffic accidents | sexual abuse & rape | trauma/s | work
People I've helped have managed to let go of - anger and resentment, emotions and thought patterns that hindered them, long standing issues, old unhelpful behaviours and habits.
And people I've worked with have gained - clarity, confidence, control, direction, a healthier way of being, meaning, progression, resilience, self-awareness, strengths & understanding.
When the GP is not enough:
I am in no way discouraging a visit to your GP. However, a lot of the time people go to their GP because of how they feel and can be dismissed without treatment.
Physical symptoms can turn out to be medically 'unexplained', but symptoms can be due to a form of anger, anxiety, depression, stress or worry.
Examples: dizziness/Labyrinthitis/vertigo, feeling on edge, irritable bowel syndrome, headaches/migraines, panic attacks, pains, shaking, skin rashes, sleeping problems, sweating, tiredness/exhaustion, tight chest etc.
Going to your GP can be like getting a plumber to look at your boiler, their specialism is in something else, not therapy or mental health.
I have additional training in specialised trauma therapies that are not available through NHS, insurance companies and EAPs. I also practice therapies that are helpful for people who are not comfortable disclosing difficulties or talking.
My approach to therapy is about being a person first, and developing a way to work together that will suit you best, I like to get to the roots of the problems and I commit getting there.
When you contact me, we can just arrange a time to meet, we don't need to go into personal issues over the phone, we can start when you're ready.
As well as therapy and the work I do, I enjoy many things including film, guitar, music and travel.
Book now and arrange to come and see me, I'll be glad to meet you, whatever is going on!
Training, qualifications & experience
Many types of professionals & people come to see me inc:
actors, artists, business persons, counsellors & therapists, engineers, GPs, labourers, lawyers, lecturers, medical professionals, musicians, office workers, parents/carers, sports persons, social workers, students, teachers, trades persons, travellers, and young people.
- I see men & woman
- Most of my clients are in their 20's - 50's
- I do not see anyone under the age of 18
Valuable experience services, to many different client groups, and individuals. This has expanded my knowledge, and stretched me personally and professionally, making me a robust practitioner.
My work and practice has been audited by the BACP and has passed this process.
I have worked in a paid capacity for services & organisations that provide psychological interventions and support, for over 15 years, as outlined below:
- The Priory Therapy Centre & Residential Hospital - Therapist/counsellor/assessor - adults & young people - mainly anxiety, mood, relationships, trauma. Short to longer-term work.
- Adults counsellor - funded by NHS/CCG - short to long-term work
- Schools counsellor (Liverpool, Manchester, Salford, Wigan) - Over 30 schools providing counselling for: pupils, parents/carers, teachers & staff
- Counselling - Wigan Family Welfare - A great deal of my work here encompasses long term work for abuse, anger/anger management, family & relationships, and traumatic experiences
- Counselling for Liverpool - business owner - working with people on a private basis.
- Employee assistance programmes (counselling employees of some of the largest employers) - Nationwide - Adults counsellor/therapist - short-term work (6-8 weeks)
- Insurance companies - I provide counselling for several large insurance companies
- Looked after children's counsellor Inc. parents/carers - funded by Wigan local authority
- Counsellor & Mental Health Practitioner - Manchester - Forty Second Street - specialist mental health support & counselling. Funded by NHS/CCG
- Online Counsellor & Psychotherapist - Resile Ltd
- Relate - The Relationship People - North & South Manchester - counsellor & psychotherapist
- Face to Face Charity - Adults counsellor for those with income - voluntary
- Bereavement & Palliative Care Counsellor - Hospitals, medical centres, GP clinics - bereavement & life threatening illness - NHS
- Pupil referral units & EBD schools - counsellor - long term counselling
- Mental health advice/support help lines - Supporting people in crisis and offering guidance to professionals & carers
- On line advice & support for concerns around self-harm - TheSite.org, now called.themix.org.
- GP's surgeries - counselling & mental health assessments across Manchester
- Therapeutic residential units, residential homes & schools for people of all ages with moderate- severe Epilepsy, learning & social difficulties including those who have a diagnosis of ASC/Autism. Inc The David Lewis Centre.
- Residential/assessment units, leaving care units - Bury, Wirral, Wigan, Manchester, Alderly Edge
- Substance misuse counsellor - NHS/CCG
- Suicide prevention practitioner- national charity - providing guidance to professionals & carers. Supporting those in crisis and experiencing suicidal ideation
- The Samaritans - 2 years 2002 - working with people in crisis and those who are actively suicidal or in crisis - voluntary
My training exceeds the minimum requirements to be able to provide counselling under the BACP regulating body. I am trained in several approaches to therapy, the Person Centred approach is at the heart of all my work.
All of my training has been gained through face to face training with well respected trainers & training establishments that are radical in counsellor/psychotherapy training.
I believe qualifications are important, what is more important is experience & how your therapist works with you as a person.
- Cert. in Supervision - British Psychological Society (BPS) approved certificate in Essential Supervision.
- Post Graduate Level 7 - Person Centred & CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) Therapies' at Temenos - Sheffield. This training also included 3rd Wave CBT techniques such as mindfulness, and exposure techniques.
- Diploma Level 4 - Theory & Practice of Counselling (This course focussed solely on the Person Centred approach, and was Accredited by British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy/BACP) - Person Centred Counselling Services (PCCS) Training Partnership - Manchester.
- Diploma in NLP (Neuro-linguistic Programming)
- Cert. BSP - A deep therapy that requires little talking. It is a way of healing quickly, and processing difficulties. Can also help to manage pain. Trained by Dr Mark Gritix.
- Cert. EMI + Supervision Level 1 - a specialised neuro-therapy designed to treat trauma & PTSD (distressing memory).
- Cert. EMI + Supervision Level 2 - this approach has been researched and found to be helpful with phobias and deeper rooted trauma.
- Cert. Counselling skills Level 3 - South Trafford
- Cert. Counselling concepts Level 2 - South Trafford
- Cert. of Proficiency – the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
I attend at least 30 hours CPD on going training every year:
- Applied suicide Intervention Skills Training (A.S.I.S.T) - Livingworks
- Bereavement & palliative care counselling - NHS/Trafford Bereavement & Palliative Care Service
- Child & Adult safeguarding
- Counter terrorism training (WRAP)
- Counselling young people - Relate
- Couples & relationship counselling
- Domestic violence - Relate
- Family support - Beechwood cancer care
- Group work - NHS
- Gestalt therapy dream work
- Intro to Gestalt therapy
- Intro to Existential Psychotherapy - Emmy van Deurzen (New School of Psychotherapy)
- Supporting mental health of LGBTQ
- Mental health - NHS
- Self harm - Teaching School Alliance
- Suicide TALK - Living Works
- Timian certificate (challenging behaviour) - BILD
- Transactional Analysis
- Young people, sex & the law
To see a fuller description of what I do, and the experience & training I have gained go to: Counselling in Liverpool
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Much of my work encompasses human relationships and the difficulties that arise through being in, or out of them.
- I am also trained an Neuro-therapies/Somatic therapies that have been used to help people with trauma & PTSD symptoms. EMI is scientifically based, and researched to prove beneficial, it is also fast acting!
- I love to help people and their anxiety, and enjoy helping to work it out - Anxiety often presents itself as physical problems, behaviour or thoughts. If you are unsure what anxiety is just think 'worry' or feeling 'nervous/on edge', 'checking' or 'avoiding' behaviours
- You may have been involved in an unsettling event/s that seem to still affect you now. In this case we can do Eye Movement Integration/EMI therapy to help you with this. I thoroughly recommend this if you have not tried it before, or you feel like you have tried everything else. I have used EMI successfully with many people who felt stuck and just couldn't move on.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
Photos & videos
Regular counselling session
- £40.00 - private paying clients
- £55.00 - 50 minute counselling session (city centre) School Lane - close to Church St.
Insurance & medical companies
- £75 per session. PHQ9 & GAD7 available upon request.
Specialised trauma therapies
- £50.00 - BSP 1 hour session (Aigburth)
- £70.00 - BSP 1.5 hour session (Aigburth)
- £70.00 - EMI 1.5 hour session (AIgburth)
- £70.00 - 1 hour - couples/relationship counselling (city centre only)
EMI sessions are usually for dissociation, trauma, disturbing memory and PTSD
I accept: American Express, Visa, Visa Debit, Mastercard (plus £1.50 per transaction)
Sessions available by telephone and online/Skype - sessions may be available outside my normal practice hours.
- Employee Assistance Programme for businesses - packages available. Call me for a chat about how I can meet your business and employees needs. Local businesses & projects have used this package. i.e after armed robberies, attacks, and to generally aid well-being. The better functioning your staff; the better functioning your business.
Please do not book an appointment if you are unsure if you will attend.
(All missed or cancelled appointments with less than 24hrs notice are to be paid for)
- Call me on: 07757437599 - 7.00am - 9.00pm (You can also leave a message 24hrs a day) This number is provided for clients only, so it is completely confidential. If you get the answer phone please leave your name and number, I will call you back shortly/same day
- Morning, afternoon, and evening sessions
- Monday - Saturday
- Close to bus and train links (St Michael's station), 60 & 82 bus route
- Residential area close to Lark Lane - cafes, restaurants & shops nearby
- Free roadside parking
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
*Monday to Thursday: 4.30pm-8.00pm *Fridays 9.00am-8.00pm *Sat: 9.00am-12.00pm. Sessions are subject to availability, and what others have already booked.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer supervision for counsellors and other professionals too.View supervision profile