Welcome to my profile page.
You have to like people to be a psychotherapist. And I do. I'm very interested in the stories of people's lives and although clients often say "you must be bored, listening to people's problems" I can reply that I don't lose interest. As Tolstoy said "All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."
Life's challenges cause us to dig deeply into ourselves and to develop qualities we never knew we had until we couldn't go on without them. Suffering creates character. And so, when clients visit me and think I might be bored or despairing, I say "No, not at all." Far from depressing, being a therapist is rather like being a midwife to the soul.
I graduated as a psychotherapist in 1998 after a 5-year training, continuing with my studies to obtain a Masters degree and diplomas in Advanced Psychotherapy and Supervision. Since 1998 time I've had a busy private practice working in London and Bedfordshire with individuals, couples and running workshops.
I work integratively, using a combination of gestalt techniques, bodywork, art, sound, movement, Transactional Analysis, CBT, EMDR, creative imagination and more, depending upon the client's needs and how the client likes to work.
My therapeutic style is more dynamic than passive so if you've had experiences with therapists who have a 'blank screen' approach, your experience with me will be different. Different strokes for different folks.
I also run regular workshops for therapists, student therapists and the public - please visit my website for more information - www.lynnsomerfield.co.uk
I work in Bedfordshire and London from Monday to Friday. Fees vary depending upon location.
Training, qualifications & experience
EMDR Parts 1,2 and 3 2009-2010
Diploma in Advanced Psychotherapy, 2003
Diploma in Supervision, 2000
Masters Degree in Transpersonal Counselling & Psychotherapy, 1999
Diploma in Transpersonal Counselling & Psychotherapy, 1998
Certificate in Stress Management, 1996
I attend regular CPD courses (Continuing Professional Development).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
EMDR for trauma
Loss of Meaning
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Ongoing - Addictions: Friend or Foe? Working with addictions from a transpersonal perspective
- Ongoing - Working with Death & Dying
I run regular workshops on:
- Integrating Multi Modal CBT
- Gestalt and the transpersonal
- Psychology & the chakras
- Balancing the chakras (using spiritual, psychological and physical practices)
- Addictions (Friend or Foe?). A look at addictions from a transpersonal perspective
- Women and Weight - what's your unwanted weight trying to tell you?
- Transactional Analysis for Dummies - a look at your life script and ways of revising it
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and evening
Types of client
Supervision & training
Supervision.View supervision profile