Over 50 and loving it?
9th June, 2010
Worried about wrinkles, middle age spread and losing your attractiveness?
So why do so many women struggle with age? Is it OK to love yourself as you age without resorting to botox, boob jobs, gym addiction and starvation to keep yourself looking good?
I say ‘absolutely!’ We can age and love ourselves, enjoying the ride, drawing inspiration from positive role models, know any fabulous 50's? You can make the most of your body with good undies and clothes that make you look and feel good, it really does make all the difference. Of course if you resign yourself to dull, dull, dull, then that’s exactly how you’ll feel. If you find yourself comparing yourself to air brushed images, your 20 something daughter or younger friends, what do you expect? Certainly not body confidence and improved self worth. If you can acknowledge that you are beautiful, in your own right, age is natural and you have some great little tricks at your finger tips, you’re a winner!
I love the path of least resistance and think most of us do, so here are my top 11 tips to being 50 and Fabulous!
1. Change your make up, hair products and facial routine to give yourself a boost and let your skin have a change.
2. Invest in some new colours and try minerals like the bare essencuals range, or lily lilo and add a little twinkle as matt can age you.
3. Use perfumed body creams for that light summer perfume that get’s you noticed, for all the right reasons and screams femininity!
4. Get a bra fitting! Good foundations make all the difference.
5. Try new facial products and speak to the experts, I recently met a fantastic consultant for Elemis and Liz Earle and my skin feels WOW!
6. Use colour and don’t be afraid to look around you and pick up tips on how to dress. It’s right under your nose!
7. Find websites that inspire you to love your years!
8. Join with like-minded women and avoid the negative so called ‘friends’.
9. Get out in the fresh air, walking is a natural mood enhancer and keeps you fit
10. Pilates and Yoga, ideal to lengthen, strengthen and shape your body and improve your mindset.
11. Finally, number 11. If someone says you can’t, ask yourself why not?
Love your years, your life and your body!
Related articles from our experts
Fiona Goldman, BACP Registered CounsellorJanuary 17th, 2017
Tom KeelyJanuary 16th, 2017
SUSAN STUBBINGS Counsellor, Supervisor, Group facilitator Registered MBACPJanuary 17th, 2017
Andrea Harrn Psychotherapist and Author of The Mood CardsMay 13th, 2011
Imi Lo: Psychotherapist, Art Therapist, Supervisor (MMH,UKCP,HCPC,MBPsS)March 29th, 2015
Keeley Townsend BA (Hons), Ad.Dip.CP with Distinction, MNCS (Acc)December 14th, 2009
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.