Listening to our Bodies
15th July, 2009
Psychodynamic Reiki Counselling uses the clients body energy to guide the therapist to find psychological blockages which have led to physical or mental disorders. That psychological traumas cause illness has been a proven fact for many years, indeed Alice Miller is a well known psychotherapist who upholds this belief, as have many others. What is new with this technique is that people can be taught to "Listen to their Bodies" as a map in order to find out what is the underlying problem causing their mental or physical discomfort and that therapists can be taught to go beyond the "empathetic approach" which all effective counsellors use, taking it one step further and enabling them to "Feel" the other persons discomfort, then translate this for them so that they can then open the door their subconcious memories, where all their solutions are. The below may explain this more thoroughly.
We are all the product of everything that has ever happened to us in our lifetimes. Dysfunctional behaviour and emotions are like a computer software programme which doesn’t work properly and the unconscious is like the programme code that governs what happens on the screen. People consciously experience what happens by way of negative emotions, but they are unaware of the underlying reasons for these emotions or behaviours. This can result in stress, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, depression, Bipolar Disorders, other chronic mental health problems and even physical illness. Ordinarily we are not aware of the underlying mental reasons why we act in a certain way. Whilst things are going well there is no need to be aware of unconscious issues, but to fix things when they go wrong, we may need to uncover the specific underlying reasons. Psychodynamic Reiki Counselling reveals the underlying causes of such emotions and behaviours and these specific unconscious memories can then be addressed corrected and thus specific symptoms of ill health are reduced.
With more people with mental health problems on incapacity benefit than all of those who are unemployed, (Lord Layard Report, 2006) self knowledge is very important. In addition, there are many people who want to learn how to help themselves, rather than rely on medication, which really only masks the symptoms, rather than addressing the actual core problem.
When a negative emotion comes to the surface, this is a clue that the body is ready to release that blockage. Although the actual foundation of this emotion or behaviour may have been put in many years ago, there is a similarity in the trigger felt at that moment. For example, a young child of 3 who observed her father trying to strangle her mother, became petrified of him, but also as an adult of all men. The psychological "damage" was initially though viewing domestic violence, but the trigger of fear may have been a man just speaking to her.
So what can we do when such triggers are felt? Whether it is fear, anger or upset, these negative emotions are always unconcious if you can't rationalise why you feel the way you do. Thats why we often can't remember the initial cause.
Our foundations of our character are formed in the first 7 years of life, so if there was trauma which was not dealt with during this time, then this is often where our unconcious is blocked in terms of memory, but not interms of emotion. So we still have the emotion, but dont know why we are reacting the way we are or having the behaviour or emotion that we are having.
Learn to meditate. Use the Tau Tree meditation, as thats the most powerful I have found. Do this for 20mins before you go to sleep. Don't worry if you can't turn off your head straight away, just keep trying as its like a muscle and when you work with it it will get really easy.
The Tau Tree and Inner Child Work
1. Visualise a beautiful green field.
2. See yourself walking up to a beautiful old oak tree.
3. See a hole in the base of the tree and a staircase going down
4. Go down the staircase until you get to the middle of the earth
5. Sit on the floor and see a small seed
6. Plant the seed in front of you and see a watering can
7. Water the newly planted seed
8. See your feet and break off your old dead roots
9. See the new shoots coming from the seed and wrap these around your feet
10. See the new roots pushing you back up the staircase until you get to the surface of the earth and the trunk of the oak tree. See the light which comes up your roots, coming up the oak tree until it gets to the top of the oak tree and the top of your head
11. See two branches of the tree and a dove of piece which sits between the two branches
12. As the light is pulled up past the dove, see a light being pulled down from the sky to connect your lower self with your higher self.
13. In this meditative state, look around in your visualisation and see if there are and younger versions of your self saty on clouds. If you see any, ask those parts to come back to you
14. Cuddle the “little you” and tell those parts how much you love them
15. Ensure that you do this for all ages which you see, eg 4,5,7, 28 or whatever.
16. When this is done, go to the base of the tree, taking the “little yous” with you
17. See a silver path before you and walk down it until you come to a beautiful lagoon.
18. In the visualisation, take off your clothes and those of your inner children and all wash each other
19. When you are ready, see a waterfall and stand beneath it, allowing the water to wash through your body, and ask yourself to let go of old emotions.
20. This may lead you to feel upset, so just allow this to be released, from your adult self or inner child. Support your inner child and tell them how brave they are.
Its important to do this as when you have a trigger you will need to be able to use these techniques at the time rather than reacting to the trigger.
Ok so lets say that you're at work / home and all of a sudden you feel really upset or angry. Don't react (I know its hard but if you resist the block is easier to tap into) Take yourself off to the toilet or another quiet place where you wont be disturbed and close your eyes. Ask your self what age you were when this trigger was first put in. See yourself as that age and the people around you who were involved in this scenario.
(It has to be done this way as the age the negative event happened is the age which we need to take it out at.)
Give your inner child permission to "feel" this emotion again. See the person, people involved and wrap them in a silver bubble of protection, then allow your inner child to say whatever it wants to that person / people. Your adult self supports your inner child. Don't rationalise the feelings. Honour the feelings you had at the time, if you rationaise it as an adult that wont allow you to release the blockage. When you have finished, look again at the scenario. If all of the emotion has been released you will feel neutral, if you havent released all of the negative emotion, there will still be anger, fear, upset still there. When it is all gone forgive the other person and forgive yourself, release the person from you by cutting any silver threads which run from you to them. These are "conditions" on your love. In order to have unconditional love, we have to remove conditions.
In the same way if there is any remaining anger, this needs to be released as the only person that is still being hurt is you. Let it go, believe me, what goes around comes around, and whilst you're still holding on to those threads it cant!
What about is you're still struggling with the core issue, or you have physical pain as well?
We all have a body map to help guide us to the age, people involved in our unconcious negative triggers. All we have to do is "Listen" to it.
1. Ears—Heard something which upset, caused anger or fear
3. Heart Pain
5. Hands—Issue being held onto or children
6. Knees—Weakness due to fear
7. Feet—Ungrounded due to fear
8. Eye—Saw something upsetting, causing anger or fear
9. Mouth—Bitter taste, anger
10. Throat—Words not said
11. Stomach—Self doubt
12. Elbow—Person similar age to client
13. Kidneys—Fed up with someone
14. Genitals—Pain, abuse
15. Childhood aged 0-7
Left is always a female energy and Right is male, but it swops at the head. So if you had pain in your right ear, it was a female who originally said those hurtful words, that you play over in your head and that make you upset, angry or fearful.
If you want more help there is more in depth information in Juliets book The Golden Atlantean Book of Healing or contact her direct on the Reiki Research Foundation web site.
Related articles from our experts
Food For Thought Eating Disorders Counselling - Lynn Moore BA(Hons), MBACP(Reg.)February 23rd, 2017
Amanda Perl MSc Psychotherapist Counsellor MBPsS BACP (Accred) CBT PractitionerFebruary 1st, 2017
Alice Sphika MAFebruary 26th, 2017
Andrea Harrn Psychotherapist and Author of The Mood CardsMay 13th, 2011
Imi Lo: Psychotherapist, Art Therapist, Supervisor (MMH,UKCP,HCPC,MBPsS)March 29th, 2015
Keeley Townsend BA (Hons), Ad.Dip.CP with Distinction, MNCS (Acc)December 14th, 2009
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.