How to avoid low self-esteem
Written by listed counsellor/psychotherapist: Kate Megase MBACP, Registered and Accredited
20th September, 20150 Comments
- Always value yourself, if you don’t then no one else will.
- The only person that is responsible for creating your destiny is you, and no one else; so you can't expect other people to make you happy, if you are not happy with yourself.
- You can’t truly love or receive love without falling in love with who you really are.
- Improve your esteem by treating yourself as you would treat a valued friend.
- Learn to identify your full potential, and your purpose in life (learn to focus on your strengths and work on areas of development).
- Setting goals gives you a purpose, vision and direction in life. You can do one thing daily towards your desired goal.
- Take care of yourself by, exercising, having a balanced diet and getting enough rest.
- Be conscious of what you feed your mind with.
- Be aware of what you focus your time, money and energy on. It is mostly positive or negative?
- Stop trying to please people; it is not good for your emotional well-being and you can never please everyone, even if you tried to.
- Be positive, negative energy can be draining.
- Enjoy your hobbies.
- Consistency is the key to success.
- Challenges are part of life. It helps to develop your character, grow and come out of your comfort zone.
- There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, but avoid making the same mistakes over and over again. If something you are doing is not working, then you must learn to do things differently.
- Create time to nurture yourself, even if you have a busy schedule.
- Learn to give yourself, what you desperately need from others (love).
Never ever give up on yourself.
Related articles from our experts
- Are you tired of hearing ‘be the best’; ‘become a leader’; ‘be happy’; ‘you can do it’?
Adriana Gordon - London Private Counselling (PGDip, Reg MBACP)14th December, 2017
- Low self-esteem and relationships - part 3
Kate Megase MBACP, Registered and Accredited23rd November, 2017
- Flying high - improve your self-esteem
Sally Turberville Smith MBACP,UKCP Integrative Transpersonal Counsellor23rd November, 2017
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.