Achieve your goals using the 90% of your mind
28th October, 2010
Most people use roughly 10% of their minds. The mind is divided into two levels. These are the conscious accounting for 10% and the unconscious or subconscious making up the other 90%.
According to famous psychologist Sigmund Freud 90% of our motivation is unconscious. This explains why people are often puzzled by their own behaviour. For example the person who is determined to stop smoking and has many good reasons for doing so yet caves in and reaches for a cigarette after a couple of days of abstinence. Or the person who is determined to save more money but always ends up making impulse buys.
Why does this happen? Due to conflict between the conscious and unconscious level of mind. When such conflict occurs the unconscious mind always comes out on top. Hence the smoker reaching for a cigarette due to promptings at his unconscious level.
So how do you achieve your goals? By putting you’re unconscious mind on you’re side. This involves two steps firstly making contact with you’re unconscious mind and secondly giving it instructions. Contacting your unconscious mind requires reaching a deep state of relaxation. This can be achieved by meditation, certain types of yoga or entering the state of hypnosis. Relaxing in hypnosis is the quickest and most effective way for most people in the western world.
All instructions given to you’re unconscious mind must be positive and in the present tense to achieve success. For example the smoker who says to himself “ I must stop smoking” or even worse “ I must give up smoking” is unlikely to achieve the desired result. He is setting up a battle between the 10% of his mind the conscious and the vastly more powerful 90% of his mind the unconscious.
Another way to think of it is as a battle between willpower and imagination.
Willpower exists at the conscious level of mind and comes into play when we decide to do something we would prefer not to such as cease smoking.
Willpower is by its very nature temporary. If you doubt this try the following Take an ordinary elastic band. Depending on its size it will probably accommodate three or four of you’re fingers comfortably. Now stretch it out of shape forcing it to accommodate all you’re fingers and you’re thumb.
Carry on with your everyday activities. Holding the elastic band in this unnatural position will require effort and concentration.
Sooner or later you will be distracted by the telephone or doorbell. Or simply get tired of making the effort. You will then experience the snap back effect. That’s exactly what happens to our smoker or over eater. They are then likely to indulge in the undesired behaviour to a greater extent as though they were making up for lost time.
You can avoid this by putting your unconscious mind on your side and using imagination power. The correct suggestion in the case of the smoker in our example would be “I enjoy being a non smoker”. This suggestion is both positive and in the present tense. Our smoker would also visualise or mentally picture himself going about his day happily without a cigarette. The unconscious mind responds most powerfully to mental pictures. The saying a picture is worth a thousand words is definitely true in dealing with the unconscious mind.
Have you ever wondered what a hypnotherapist does? Exactly what I’ve described above. S/he firstly helps clients to reach a deep beneficial state of relaxation. Then gives suggestion to them at an unconscious level to bring about the changes they desire in their lives. During therapy the client remains conscious and in control whilst feeling comfortably relaxed
Related articles from our experts
Nicola Griffiths BACP Dip in Counselling BA Hons in Social StudiesDecember 6th, 2016
Amanda Perl MSc Psychotherapist Counsellor MBPsS BACP (Accred) CBT PractitionerNovember 19th, 2016
Allswell Counselling - Joy Christopher Reg.MBACP. MIC. LLHAY.cert.December 6th, 2016
Andrea Harrn Psychotherapist and Author of The Mood CardsMay 13th, 2011
Imi Lo: Psychotherapist, Art Therapist, Supervisor (MMH,UKCP,HCPC,MBPsS)March 29th, 2015
Keeley Townsend BA (Hons), Ad.Dip.CP with Distinction, MNCS (Acc)December 14th, 2009
Counselling Directory is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.