“Depression is a huge problem in the college student population” says John Greden M.D executive director of U-M Depression Centre. College students are framing negative headlines in the news, initially it was related to alcohol, drug, physical abuse but in the present scenario the concern is for mental illness in the college campuses. In American Psychology Today Hara Marrano says “Mental illness is absolutely going off the charts on college campuses”.
In response to this rapid rise in on campus depression, institutions have begun to implement techniques and forums that students can go to for help. Such as:
* Student forums are established, where students can discuss explicitly about their problem’s and get the best solution
* Some Universities assign their staff members to talk to students
* Various online help services have been set up by authorities for students who feel uncomfortable discussing their problems in person
* Many Universities have Chaplains. They are available at Chaplaincy Centre where students can talk confidentially and discuss their worries and grievances
* There are many career advisory services that run events throughout the year, helping the student focus on where they want to go after completing their degree. Work experience fairs, I.T fairs and skill’s workshops are also a popular means and guidelines to achieve success
* Many universities offer day care centres and gymnasiums for better health of the student
* Development programmes are run in some universities, which can help the students in self-improvement and can build confidence
* Nightline services are provided by some universities, which are confidential, telephone listening services usually run by students for students
Starting at University brings about a huge change both emotionally and physically and this alone can be enough to make some students feel stressed which can in turn lead to depression. If you feel overwhelmed at any point you should discuss this with someone you feel comfortable with and seek further council if you feel you need to.